National dialogue `logical` solution to Syrian crisis
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said that only national dialogue is "logical" solution to the Syrian crisis, Press TV reported on Sunday.
Ahmadinejad made the remarks in a meeting with the visiting Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem in Tehran Saturday, calling for an immediate cessation of the violence and foreign intervention in the Arab state.
Those who turn to arms and violence while speaking of democracy must be disarmed, Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying.
He urged the Syrian government and opposition groups to reach an agreement through negotiations, describing talks as a logical solution to the Syrian crisis.
Ahmadinejad expressed hope that parties involved in the conflicts will soon engage in dialogue, according to the report.
For his part, al-Moallem said that Syria is facing an international conspiracy and Israel is taking full advantage of this scheme.
Meanwhile, Secretary of Iran`s Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili said Saturday that Western countries that "support terrorists" cannot introduce themselves as representatives of the international community, Press TV reported on Sunday.
In the meeting with al-Moallem, Jalili reiterated Tehran`s "strategic support" for the national dialogue in Syria, stating that most countries of the world back a political solution to end the Syrian crisis.
The Syrian foreign minister praised Iran`s "constructive" stance towards his country.
Syria will never forget the support of the Iranian nation and government under current difficult situation, al-Moallem was quoted as saying.
Al-Moallem, who arrived in Tehran on Saturday, also met Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi earlier on the day and discussed the latest bilateral and regional developments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA