National dialogue `logical` solution to Syrian crisis
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said that only national dialogue is "logical" solution to the Syrian crisis, Press TV reported on Sunday.
Ahmadinejad made the remarks in a meeting with the visiting Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem in Tehran Saturday, calling for an immediate cessation of the violence and foreign intervention in the Arab state.
Those who turn to arms and violence while speaking of democracy must be disarmed, Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying.
He urged the Syrian government and opposition groups to reach an agreement through negotiations, describing talks as a logical solution to the Syrian crisis.
Ahmadinejad expressed hope that parties involved in the conflicts will soon engage in dialogue, according to the report.
For his part, al-Moallem said that Syria is facing an international conspiracy and Israel is taking full advantage of this scheme.
Meanwhile, Secretary of Iran`s Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili said Saturday that Western countries that "support terrorists" cannot introduce themselves as representatives of the international community, Press TV reported on Sunday.
In the meeting with al-Moallem, Jalili reiterated Tehran`s "strategic support" for the national dialogue in Syria, stating that most countries of the world back a political solution to end the Syrian crisis.
The Syrian foreign minister praised Iran`s "constructive" stance towards his country.
Syria will never forget the support of the Iranian nation and government under current difficult situation, al-Moallem was quoted as saying.
Al-Moallem, who arrived in Tehran on Saturday, also met Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi earlier on the day and discussed the latest bilateral and regional developments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda