National Syrian dialogue to be held soon, says Iran
Tehran: Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said here Monday that the national Syrian talks will be held "soon," reported Xinhua citing the official IRNA news agency.
The talks will be held with the participation of the representatives of all the Syrian people, including the ethnic groups, political parties, the opposition groups and the government in Tehran or in one of the regional countries "soon," said Amir-Abdollahian.
He made the remarks after meeting visiting Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov Monday. Bogdanov also discussed regional developments, particularly those pertaining to Syria, with Iran`s Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi, said the report.
Amir-Abdollahian added that some of the opposition groups have not agreed to enter the talks, but there are attempts to persuade them, said IRNA.
Proximity among different outlooks in Syria is being built up and the Syrian groups have come to the conclusion that political solution to Syrian issue should be considered, he was quoted as saying.
The Iranian deputy foreign minister referred to the Monday talks between Iranian foreign minister and the Russian side as " helpful," saying that both Iran and Russia "strongly" support the reforms proposed by Syrian President Bashar Al Assad.
UN-Arab League (AL) joint special representative Lakhdar Brahimi has proposed a cease-fire in Syria during the upcoming Muslim feast of Eid al-Adha holiday, which starts on Oct 26.
Iran and Russia are the regional allies of the Syrian government and oppose Assad`s resignation under Western pressures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured