NATO activists` lawyers blast anti-terror law
Chicago: Attorneys for three men facing terror-related charges for allegedly plotting to attack President Barack Obama`s campaign headquarters during the NATO summit last month blasted Illinois` anti-terrorism statute, saying it is too all-encompassing and ill-defined.
Defence attorneys spoke on Tuesday to reporters after a hearing in which prosecutors declined to show their counterparts an indictment handed down recently by a grand jury, a document that would likely reveal additional details about the case.
Federal prosecutors handle the vast majority of terrorism cases in the US, distinguishing the case of the three activists. They are also the first people to be charged under an Illinois law adopted after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
Defence attorney Thomas Durkin, who has defended several terrorist suspects in federal court, says there`s a reason the state law hasn`t been used before. "It`s a stupid statute," he said. "It is overblown and vague. ... You can be charged with terrorism by destroying a beehive."
Prosecutors told Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr, earlier that they were not ready to show defence attorneys the formal indictment. Defence lawyers say they have seen almost none of the evidence against their clients, who were arrested days before the NATO summit started and are also accused of plotting attacks on police stations.
The judge did not order prosecutors to turn the indictment over to prosecutors, but they must do so when the three are arraigned on July 02.
Brian Church, 20; Jared Chase, 24; and Brent Vincent Betterly, 24, are charged with conspiracy to commit terrorism, material support for terrorism and possession of explosives. If convicted on all counts, they could each face a maximum 85-year prison term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly