NATO chief `encouraged` by Iran nuclear weapon pledge
Brussels: NATO head Anders Fogh Rasmussen said on Thursday he was very "encouraged" by Iran`s pledge not to seek nuclear weapons, saying a more open approach was in Tehran`s own best interest.
"I have been very encouraged by recent statements from the new Iranian leadership," Rasmussen said, stressing the need to resolve international concerns over Iran`s contested nuclear programme.
"I think it is in Iran`s own interest to engage with the international community," he said, adding that if that is what Tehran is seeking, then "I can only welcome it."
Earlier, Iranian President Hassan Rowhani told NBC News that "under no circumstances would we seek any weapons of mass destruction, including nuclear weapons, nor will we ever."
"We have never pursued or sought a nuclear bomb, and we are not going to do so," he said, according to the US network.
The United States, its Western allies and Israel fear that Iran`s nuclear programme is ultimately intended to produce atomic weapons.
Iran insists the programme is entirely for peaceful purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 : BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016, BSEB 12th Vocational Results to be declared at biharboard.bih.nic.in, www.biharboard.net