NATO chief says confident of increased Afghan contribution
Brussels: NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen
said on Wednesday he was confident that members of the transatlantic
alliance would make a "substantial" increase in their
contributions to Afghanistan.
His comments, posted on the NATO website, followed US
President Barack Obama`s decision yesterday to send 30,000
more troops to Afghanistan.
"As the US increases its commitment, I am confident that
the other allies, as well as our partners in the mission, will
also make a substantial increase in their contribution," the
NATO secretary general said.
He "warmly welcomed" Obama`s announcement, saying the
already substantial US contribution to the NATO-led mission
was now "even more important."
"President Obama`s decision to substantially increase the
numbers of US forces in the NATO-led operation is proof of his
resolve; the overall approach he laid out is a broader
political strategy for success," he said.
In announcing the troop surge, Obama vowed to "seize the
initiative" to finally end the eight-year war but also said
American forces would start coming home in 19 months` time.
"But this is not a US mission alone, America`s allies in
NATO have shared the risks, costs and burdens of this mission
from the beginning," Rasmussen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?