NATO fuel tankers destroyed in Pakistan: Officials
Quetta: At least nine tankers carrying fuel for NATO troops in Afghanistan were destroyed after an explosion in one of the vehicles triggered a huge fire in southwest Pakistan late on Sunday, officials said.
It is not clear what caused the blast, said authorities, as they investigate whether it was an act of terror or an accident.
The incident took place in the town of Hub in restive Baluchistan province, some 45 kilometres from the port city of Karachi where the tankers were loaded with oil before setting off for Afghanistan.
"First a blast took place and then more than nine NATO oil tankers caught fire. We are investigating the cause of the blast," Ahmad Nawaz Cheema, a senior police official in the area, told a news agency.
No one was killed or wounded in the incident which took place as the drivers were eating at a roadside hotel after parking the tankers, he added.
Overland oil shipments to NATO troops in landlocked Afghanistan resumed through Pakistan less than two weeks ago under tighter security after a five-month suspension due to attacks.
Pakistani contractors had stopped driving oil supplies from Karachi to the Torkham crossing on the Afghan border due to frequent strikes on their vehicles.
On Friday officials said gunmen attacked a convoy of NATO oil tankers in southwest Pakistan overnight, killing a driver and torching eight vehicles.
The NATO combat mission is due to end next year. Pakistan and the United States have signed a deal allowing NATO supply convoys to travel into Afghanistan until the end of 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price