NATO, G8 summits in Chicago next year
Chicago: Security experts say news that Chicago is going to host the NATO and G8 summits next year means that, for at least a short time, there will be no safer city on the planet.
Those who have helped plan security for such events and studied them say that by the time President Barack Obama welcomes world leaders to his hometown, millions of dollars and thousands of hours will have been spent planning how to protect them.
Experts say local, state and federal agencies will do everything from tracking terrorists to inspecting storm drains and elevator shafts.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel says getting the events to be held in Chicago is a coup because they will showcase the city and perhaps trigger economic investment and job creation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days