NATO leader`s term extended by two months
Brussels: NATO said on Wednesday that current head Anders Fogh Rasmussen will stay in his post two months longer than previously expected to prepare and oversee the military alliance`s next leaders summit in Britain in September.
Rasmussen was initially due to complete his four-year term in July 2013 but that was extended by one year to July 2014.
NATO member ambassadors have now decided that he should stay in office until the end of September 2014 "to enable him to prepare and preside" at the summit in south Wales earlier that month, a statement said.
The last summit was held in 2012 in Chicago.
The 2014 summit comes before the planned withdrawal of NATO forces from Afghanistan, its biggest and longest military operation.
NATO currently plans to maintain a training and assistance mission in Afghanistan post-2014 but its future is in doubt as Afghan President Hamid Karzai is refusing to sign a security pact with Washington on its legal and operational status.
Washington and NATO both say there can be no continued alliance presence in Afghanistan without such a pact.
Rasmussen, 60 and a former Danish prime minister, was appointed for the maximum single NATO term in 2009.
Among names mentioned as possible successors for a post traditionally held by a European are former Italian foreign minister Franco Frattini, as well as Belgian Defence Minister, Pieter de Crem and Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski who was formerly in charge of defence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official