NATO missile plan bad for Turkey: Iran
Moscow: Tehran has warned that the deployment of NATO`s advanced surface-to-air Patriot missiles along the Turkish border with Syria would be detrimental to Turkey.
"The deployment of Patriot missiles in Turkey will play no role in Turkey`s security and will be harmful to Turkey," Iranian Defence Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi was quoted by Press TV as saying.
Vahidi criticised the West for always looking after its own interests.
"We are against the presence of Western countries in regional (programmes)," he said.
Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan earlier said that Patriot missiles will be deployed near the southeastern cities of Adana, Gaziantep and Kahramanmaras.
Earlier this month, NATO approved the deployment of Patriot air defence systems in Turkey as a way to prevent potential Syrian cross-border missile or mortar attacks.
Six NATO-controlled Patriot batteries are to be operational by the end of January 2013.
NATO member Turkey formally requested Patriot missiles from the military alliance after weeks of talks with NATO allies about how to shore up security on its 900-km border with Syria.
Turkey has opened fire with artillery several times in recent months across its border with Syria in retaliation for shelling from Syria that killed five Turkish civilians in October.
Turkey has also provided shelter to refugees fleeing the violence in Syria, and has been one of President Bashar al-Assad`s harshest critics during the almost 17-month revolt against his rule.
Tensions between Turkey and Syria flared dangerously this summer after Damascus shot down a Turkish fighter that had violated its airspace. Turkey threatened retaliation if there was any repeat of the incident, although it admitted its plane had mistakenly strayed into Syrian airspace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral