NATO moves to remove Kosovo Serb roadblocks
Mitrovica: NATO-led troops in Kosovo have confronted Kosovo Serbs manning their roadblocks as tensions escalated in the volatile north of the country.
Serbs have been blocking roads to stop the country`s ethnic Albanian leadership from extending its control over the part of Kosovo populated mostly by ethnic Serbs.
The Serbs reject Kosovo`s 2008 declaration of independence from Serbia.
After Kosovo Serb leaders refused NATO`s demand to allow freedom of movement, the peacekeepers in riot gear moved early Thursday against hundreds of Serbs at roadblocks consisting of parked trucks, rocks, mud and logs.
The troops occasionally use pepper spray against the demonstrators who have set down on the road some 10 kilometres (6 miles) northwest of the divided town of Mitrovica. So far, there are no major clashed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad