NATO says to cut Kosovo troop numbers to 5,000
NATO will reduce its troop numbers in Kosovo to 5,000 in the next few months.
Brussels: NATO will reduce its troop numbers in Kosovo to 5,000 in the next few months, the head of the alliance said on Friday, citing improved security.
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen announced in September last year that the alliance would cut its Kosovo Security Force, or KFOR, from 15,000 troops to 10,000 troops at the beginning of this year.
"Over the next few months, KFOR will progressively reduce its presence to around 5,000 troops in total," Rasmussen said in a statement announcing the new reduction.
"Security conditions in Kosovo continue to improve, which is a positive sign not only for Kosovo, but for the whole region."