NATO strike kills 10 children in Afghanistan: Officials
Asad Abad (Afghanistan): A NATO air attack in eastern Afghanistan has killed at least 10 children, officials said on Sunday.
The children were killed during a joint Afghan-NATO operation in the Shigal district of restive Kunar province bordering Pakistan late Saturday.
"Ten children and eight militants were killed in the strike, six women were wounded," Wasifullah Wasifi, the spokesman for Kunar province, told AFP.
Shigal district governor Abdul Zahir confirmed the death toll and said people had brought the children`s bodies to the centre of the town. The wounded women were taken to Kunar`s central hospital, he said.
An Afghan official involved in the operation who declined to be named said the air support was called in after local and coalition forces came under attack, resulting in the death of an American and injuries to several Afghans.
The official said the force did not know there were women and children in the houses that were hit.
Civilian casualties caused by NATO forces have been one of the most contentious issues in the campaign against Taliban insurgents, provoking harsh criticism from President Hamid Karzai and angry public protests.
Sayed Rahman, security commander of Shigal, said one women was also among the dead.
"We have reports that 10 children and one woman have been killed in the air strike," he said.
A spokesman for NATO`s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed the strike, but said up to 10 women and children were wounded in the attack rather than killed.
A US civilian died in a militant attack at the spot, he said.
The interior ministry said in a statement the attack by coalition forces killed six Taliban including two senior commanders.
A NATO air strike on Thursday killed four Afghan police and two civilians in Ghazni province.
That attack happened after Taliban insurgents raided a local police post before dawn and NATO planes were called in to support the officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Karnataka bandh: KSRTC bus strike called off as state government announces 12.5% pay hike
- 7th Pay Commission: NPS funds earned more than PF in last six months
- Amitabh Bachchan celebrates 43 years of 'Abhimaan'
- Dibrugarh University MEE Result (www.dibru.ac.in) declared. Check ceemedu.org for Assam MEE 2016 result
- Full text of 7th Pay Commission Notification