NATO strike kills 10 children in Afghanistan: Officials
Asad Abad (Afghanistan): A NATO air attack in eastern Afghanistan has killed at least 10 children, officials said on Sunday.
The children were killed during a joint Afghan-NATO operation in the Shigal district of restive Kunar province bordering Pakistan late Saturday.
"Ten children and eight militants were killed in the strike, six women were wounded," Wasifullah Wasifi, the spokesman for Kunar province, told AFP.
Shigal district governor Abdul Zahir confirmed the death toll and said people had brought the children`s bodies to the centre of the town. The wounded women were taken to Kunar`s central hospital, he said.
An Afghan official involved in the operation who declined to be named said the air support was called in after local and coalition forces came under attack, resulting in the death of an American and injuries to several Afghans.
The official said the force did not know there were women and children in the houses that were hit.
Civilian casualties caused by NATO forces have been one of the most contentious issues in the campaign against Taliban insurgents, provoking harsh criticism from President Hamid Karzai and angry public protests.
Sayed Rahman, security commander of Shigal, said one women was also among the dead.
"We have reports that 10 children and one woman have been killed in the air strike," he said.
A spokesman for NATO`s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed the strike, but said up to 10 women and children were wounded in the attack rather than killed.
A US civilian died in a militant attack at the spot, he said.
The interior ministry said in a statement the attack by coalition forces killed six Taliban including two senior commanders.
A NATO air strike on Thursday killed four Afghan police and two civilians in Ghazni province.
That attack happened after Taliban insurgents raided a local police post before dawn and NATO planes were called in to support the officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers