NATO takes sole control of Libya air operations
Brussels: NATO`s chief said on Thursday the alliance doesn`t support US and British suggestions that the UN mandate for the international military operation in Libya allows arming rebels who are fighting Muammar Gaddafi`s troops.
NATO assumed command of all air operations over Libya early Thursday, taking over from the US, which had been eager to be rid of that responsibility. NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen told reporters in Stockholm that NATO`s position is that "we are there to protect the Libyan people, not to arm the people”.
Britain and the US believe that existing UN Security Council resolutions on Libya could allow for foreign governments to arm the rebels, despite an arms embargo being in place.
The NATO secretary-general said he has "taken note of the ongoing discussions in a number of countries but as far as NATO is concerned ... we will focus on the enforcement of the arms embargo."
Fogh Rasmussen said the transition to its command was completed at 0600 GMT (2 am EDT) Thursday, giving NATO sole responsibility for all aerial and naval operations in the region. A rebellion against Gaddafi`s 42-year rule erupted last month, and international forces including the US, France and Britain stepped in March 19, just as it appeared Gaddafi was on the verge of crushing the revolt.
Gaddafi`s forces were heavily bombarded, effectively turning the US-led air assaults into an unacknowledged aerial arm of the ragtag rebel force fighting the government`s Army.
The NATO operation — code named Unified Protector — includes enforcement the UN Security Council resolution mandating an arms embargo on Libya, enforcement of a no-fly zone and the protection of civilians from Gaddafi`s troops.
The takeover comes at a sensitive moment in the war between the rebels and loyalist forces. On Wednesday, Gaddafi`s ground troops recaptured a strategic oil town and moved within striking distance of another major eastern city, nearly reversing the gains rebels made since the international airstrikes began.
Asked where NATO is now that the rebels are being pushed back, Fogh Rasmussen answered, "We are there. We are there to take action with the aim to protect civilians against any attack."
"And if and when our military commanders feel that civilians are threatened then they will take, as is stated in the UN resolution, take all necessary measures to protect civilians against such attacks," he said.
The battlefield setbacks will likely increase calls for the international community to supply weapons to the lightly armed rebels.
The operation is being commanded by Canadian Lt Gen Charles Bouchard from NATO`s operational center in Naples, Italy. There was no word on how many airplanes and military staff would be involved, but officials say dozens of fighters, fighter-bombers, air refueling tankers, AWACS surveillance planes, maritime patrol aircraft and search-and-rescue helicopters will likely be required for the operation.
They will be based at a string of NATO bases along the Mediterranean, including Italy, France, Greece and Turkey.
"The transfer of authority on air assets is now complete," NATO spokeswoman Oana Lungescu said. "Everything that has been offered to us has been handed over.
"NATO is the only one issuing operational orders for the international effort," she added.
NATO`s governing body, the North Atlantic Council, has approved the alliance`s operations for up to three months. That period could be extended if necessary, officials said.
While Western powers are keeping up the pressure to force Gaddafi out with air strikes, diplomats are attempting to persuade him to leave without military force. A senior Ugandan official said a day after his country first offered Gaddafi refuge that the leader has not asked for political asylum in his country.
Security Minister Amama Mbabazi, who was meeting with Russia`s foreign minister in Moscow on Thursday, told reporters that Ugandan authorities have therefore not formally made an offer to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players