NATO websites targeted in attack claimed by Ukrainian hackers
Paris: NATO said several of its websites were targeted in a "significant" cyber attack that was claimed by Ukrainian hackers in what appeared to be the latest bout of virtual warfare linked to the country`s crisis.
Spokeswoman for the military alliance Oana Lungescu said yesterday on Twitter that the websites had been hit by "a significant DDoS (denial of service) attack", but that it had had "no operational impact".
Under DDoS attacks, hackers hijack multiple computers to send a flood of data to the target, crippling its computer system.
Lungescu said experts were working to restore normal function but the websites remained down for hours and still could not be accessed at around 10OO IST on yesterday.
Lungescu did not say who was responsible for the attack, which was claimed by a Ukrainian hacker group called Cyber Berkut, the name given to the feared elite riot police involved in a bloody crackdown on protesters in Kiev.
In a statement on its website www.Cyber-berkut.Org, the group said it had targeted three NATO websites over what it claimed was the alliance`s interference in Ukraine and support of the "Kiev junta".
"We will not allow the presence of NATO in our homeland," said the statement, which could not be independently verified.
Ukraine has been shaken by turmoil that saw a bloody street revolt oust pro-Russian president Viktor Yanukovych in February as anger exploded over his rejection of closer ties with the European Union in favour of Moscow.
Moscow sparked anger after it sent its forces to occupy the majority Russian-speaking Black Sea peninsula of Crimea, where regional authorities declared independence and will hold a referendum today on whether to leave Ukraine and join Russia.
NATO and its members have spoken out strongly against the vote, which has escalated East-West tensions to their worst point since the Cold War.
The electronic attack is the latest of several that have seen Ukraine tensions hit cyberspace.
On March 8, British-based BAE Systems said dozens of computer networks in Ukraine had been infected by an aggressive new cyber weapon called Snake, which experts said was most likely the work of Russian hackers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi