NATO welcomes Rasmussen as new secretary general
Brussels: NATO welcomed its 12th secretary general on Monday as Denmark`s former prime minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen arrived for his first day in the organisation`s top job.
At a low-key ceremony under the flags of the alliance`s 28 members, 56-year-old Rasmussen was welcomed to NATO by his deputy, Claudio Bisogniero, the head of the alliance`s military committee, Admiral Giampaolo di Paola, and a handful of alliance staff.
His task over the next four years will be to chair NATO meetings and summits and coordinate debates and decisions among member states.
The centre-right politician served as Denmark`s premier from November 2001 to April 2009, when he was appointed at NATO`s 60th anniversary summit.
His nomination aroused some controversy. Turkey was initially opposed, in protest at his refusal to condemn the publication of cartoons mocking the prophet Mohammed in his country in 2005.
Rasmussen takes over as NATO is deeply embroiled in Afghanistan. The alliance has some 64,000 men in the country, and has been locked in bitter fighting with Taliban-led insurgents ahead of presidential elections Aug 20.
The mission is growing increasingly unpopular in many NATO states as losses mount.
Tensions with Russia are also set to occupy his tenure following last year`s Russian invasion of NATO hopeful Georgia.
NATO froze ties with Russia after the war, but re-started formal cooperation in the spring. The sides remain at odds over issues such as NATO enlargement and missile defence.
On Thursday, Russia`s Ambassador to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin, said he wanted Rasmussen to give up the idea of taking Georgia and Ukraine into the alliance as a mark of "respect" for Russia.
Rasmussen is to chair his first NATO meeting on Tuesday when he meets the ambassadors of the alliance`s 28 members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!