NATO welcomes Rasmussen as new secretary general
Brussels: NATO welcomed its 12th secretary general on Monday as Denmark`s former prime minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen arrived for his first day in the organisation`s top job.
At a low-key ceremony under the flags of the alliance`s 28 members, 56-year-old Rasmussen was welcomed to NATO by his deputy, Claudio Bisogniero, the head of the alliance`s military committee, Admiral Giampaolo di Paola, and a handful of alliance staff.
His task over the next four years will be to chair NATO meetings and summits and coordinate debates and decisions among member states.
The centre-right politician served as Denmark`s premier from November 2001 to April 2009, when he was appointed at NATO`s 60th anniversary summit.
His nomination aroused some controversy. Turkey was initially opposed, in protest at his refusal to condemn the publication of cartoons mocking the prophet Mohammed in his country in 2005.
Rasmussen takes over as NATO is deeply embroiled in Afghanistan. The alliance has some 64,000 men in the country, and has been locked in bitter fighting with Taliban-led insurgents ahead of presidential elections Aug 20.
The mission is growing increasingly unpopular in many NATO states as losses mount.
Tensions with Russia are also set to occupy his tenure following last year`s Russian invasion of NATO hopeful Georgia.
NATO froze ties with Russia after the war, but re-started formal cooperation in the spring. The sides remain at odds over issues such as NATO enlargement and missile defence.
On Thursday, Russia`s Ambassador to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin, said he wanted Rasmussen to give up the idea of taking Georgia and Ukraine into the alliance as a mark of "respect" for Russia.
Rasmussen is to chair his first NATO meeting on Tuesday when he meets the ambassadors of the alliance`s 28 members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das