NATO will not arm Libyan opposition: Rasmussen
Stockholm/Brussels: NATO will not arm opposition forces seeking to oust Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Thursday during a visit to Sweden.
"As far as NATO is concerned, and I speak on behalf of NATO, we will focus on the enforcement of the arms embargo," Rasmussen said after talks with Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt.
"The purpose of an arms embargo is to stop the flow of weapons into Libya," he said. "We are there to protect the Libyan people, not to arm people."
Rasmussen told reporters he had "taken note of the ongoing discussions in a number of countries" concerning the arming of rebels, but said NATO`s focus was on "protecting civilians".
His visit to Stockholm came on the day that NATO formally took full control of air strike operations against Libya.
"On Thursday morning at 0600 GMT, NATO took sole command of international air operations over Libya," Rasmussen said in a statement.
Until Thursday, military action designed to protect Libyan civilians had been carried out by an impromptu coalition coordinated by the US, with Britain and France playing leading roles.
"In line with the mandate of UN Security Council Resolution 1973, NATO`s focus is on protecting civilians and civilian-populated areas against the threat of attack," Rasmussen said.
While in Stockholm, he welcomed Sweden`s offer to contribute eight JAS Gripen fighter jets to the overall operation.
The Swedish parliament has yet to give its final approval, but Reinfeldt said there was broad support for the move.
Sweden is not a member of NATO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray