NATO will not take part in a Syria strike: NATO head
Copenhagen: The suspected use of chemical weapons in Syria demands an international response but NATO will not take part, alliance head Anders Fogh Rasmussen told Danish media on Thursday.
"I see no NATO role in an international reaction to the (Syrian) regime," Rasmussen told reporters in the Danish town of Vejle, daily Politiken reported.
He said the alleged use of chemical weapons was "a terrifying and horrible act. Chemical attacks are a clear violation of international standards, a crime that can`t be ignored."
"It demands an international response, so it doesn`t happen again," Rasmussen said.
The NATO secretary general has in the past insisted on the need for a political solution to the Syrian conflict.
UN inspectors have visited the scene of the August 21 suspected gas attack near the Syrian capital.
The opposition says more than 1,300 people died when toxic gases were unleashed on Eastern Ghouta and Moadamiyet al-Sham. Doctors Without Borders said 355 people died of "neurotoxic" symptoms in the affected areas.
Rasmussen said he firmly believed the Syrian regime was behind the attack.
"I have no doubt that the regime carried out a chemical attack," he said, adding: "When you look at who has the chemical stocks and the means to use them in an attack, you have to say that it is the regime."
"There`s not much to suggest that the opposition would be in a position to carry out such an attack."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Spain set for duel against Italy; England eye quarters vs Iceland
- Myanmar national held for smuggling heroin
- WhatsApp may soon have music sharing, bigger emojis features
- Honorary Fellowship awarded to Sri Sri Ravi Shankar in UK
- MSc-PhD in chemical, molecular biology to be offered by IIT-Kharagpur, IACS