NATO`s door still open to Ukraine: Hillary Clinton
Kiev: US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham
Clinton told Ukrainian leaders on Friday that the door to
membership in the NATO alliance remains open.
Clinton alluded to the newly elected Ukrainian
government`s closer alignment to Moscow and its decision to
steer away from NATO membership.
Slowing her delivery to emphasise the NATO issue, Clinton
told the government officials she wanted to make it clear that
the US would not pressure Ukraine to join NATO. She said it is
up to Ukraine to choose its own alliances and to make such
decisions in line with its own security interests.
Clinton arrived in the Ukrainian capital at dawn and was
spending the day in a series of meetings with top government
At a news conference later, Clinton emphasised the
positive on Ukrainian democratic reforms.
"I commend the government for those commitments," Clinton
said, adding that now it needs to turn those commitments into
action to improve freedom of the press and other democratic
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket