Navy commander loses carrier job over lewd videos
Norfolk: The Navy permanently removed a senior officer from command of his aircraft carrier
because of raunchy comedy videos he made and showed to the crew several years ago.
The videos, which included anti-gay slurs and sexual innuendo, showed extremely poor judgment by Capt Owen Honors, said the commander of US Fleet Forces, Adm John C Harvey Jr.
"While Capt Honors` performance as commanding officer of USS Enterprise has been without incident, his profound lack of good judgment and professionalism while previously serving as executive officer on Enterprise calls into question his character and completely undermines his credibility to continue to serve effectively in command," Harvey said in a statement read to reporters in Norfolk yesterday.
Harvey did not take questions, including why Honors is just now being relieved of command when the videos were made several years ago. They surfaced when the Virginian-Pilot newspaper reported on them.
Honors has been reassigned to an administrative role. Harvey said the Navy will look into what other officers aboard the USS Enterprise knew about the videos.
No phone listing was immediately available for Honors and he did not respond to e-mails.
The videos, from 2006 and 2007, feature Honors using gay slurs, pantomiming masturbation and staging suggestive shower scenes. They were played on the shipwide television system during weekly movie night when Honors was executive officer, or second in command, of the Enterprise. Honors had since become commander of the ship.
Over the weekend, the Navy at first downplayed the videos as humorous skits, then called them unacceptable and said they were being investigated.
"After personally reviewing the videos created while serving as executive officer," Harvey said yesterday, "I have lost confidence in Capt Honors` ability to lead effectively, and he is being held accountable for poor judgment and the inappropriate actions demonstrated in the videos that were created while he served as executive officer on Enterprise."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Hosts lead by 489 at 3rd day close
- Kashmir violence: Avoid using pellet guns against protesters as far as possible, Rajnath Singh tells security forces
- Pakistan spinner Mohammad Hafeez to undergo retest on modified bowling action
- Elderly woman found murdered in Delhi
- IAF's mising AN-32 transporter: Satellites provide pointers, but no signs of aircraft yet