Nearly 300 Palestinian children killed in Gaza: UN
Jerusalem: At least 296 Palestinian children and adolescents have been killed since Israel launched its offensive in the Gaza Strip against Hamas on July 8, the UN said on Saturday.
"Children make up for 30 percent of the civilian casualties," said the UN children`s agency UNICEF, adding that the toll was based on deaths which it was able to verify and was likely to rise.
"The number of child casualties during the last 48 hours may rise as a number of incidents are pending verification," it said in a statement.
UNICEF stressed that its figures are "cross-checked to the best extent possible in the current situation... Subject to change based on further verifications."
"Between 8 July and 2 August 2014 (up until 11:00), at least 296 Palestinian children were reported killed as a result of airstrikes and shelling by Israel aerial, naval and ground forces," it said.
The toll breaks down to 187 boys and 109 girls, with at least 203 of them under the age of 12.
More than 1,650 Palestinians in the Gaza enclave have been killed since Israel launched Operation Protective Edge last month, aimed at halting militant rocket fire.
Most of those killed have been civilians, and more than 8,900 have been wounded.
Israel has itself lost 63 soldiers, while two civilians and a Thai worker have been killed inside the Jewish state.
It blames Hamas for the Gaza deaths, accusing the Islamist movement of using civilians as human shields.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her
- Indian Naval Ships Veer, Nipat to be decommissioned today