Nearly 400 people still stranded in quake-hit areas
Nearly 400 people are still stranded in southwest China`s Yunnan Province after a 5.9 magnitude quake hit the region that killed at least five people, officials said on Sunday.
Beijing: Nearly 400 people are still stranded in southwest China`s Yunnan Province after a 5.9 magnitude quake hit the region that killed at least five people, officials said on Sunday.
While all tourists have been evacuated from Balagezong, more than 380 scenic spot staff, construction workers and villagers remain stranded following the second quake, Yunnan Provincial Tourism Development Committee Yu Fan said.
Falling rocks injured seven tourists aboard four coach buses when the tremors struck, Yu, said.
The injured are being treated at a local hospital in Shangri-La County and their injuries are not life-threatening, Yu told Xinhua.
On Wednesday, a 5.1-magnitude quake caused falling rocks and disrupted road traffic, leaving 51 tourists stranded at the scenic spot of Balagezong in Yunnan.
So far, a three-kilometre section of the 17-km road leading to Balagezong has been cleared, and it is expected to take another two days before traffic can resume, said Li Liangbing, an armed police officer who was working to remove the rocks.
The earthquakes also cut off power supply to more than 42,000 residents, and so far nearly 90 per cent of the affected power supply has been restored, according to the Yunnan provincial power grid company, the report said.
The Yunnan Provincial Government has allocated 20 million yuan (USD 3.2 million) for quake relief and other related work.
Five people have been confirmed dead after the quake that struck Yunnan-Sichuan border area in the counties of Shangri-La and Deqen in Yunnan Province and Derong County in Sichuan Province, state-run news agency Xinhua said.