Nearly 55 African migrants arrested off Costa Rica coast
San Jose: Costa Rican authorities have said they had arrested 54 undocumented African migrants, including seven women, off the country`s Caribbean coast.
Authorities in the city of Limon, 170 kilometres east of San Jose, said the migrants were intercepted aboard an ageing boat under the command of three men, who have been taken into custody on suspicion of human trafficking.
The Red Cross said the migrants, whose nationalities were unknown, had not eaten for several days.
In July, authorities intercepted another group of African migrants, who said they had paid up to 7,000 dollars to traffickers who had promised to take them to Canada.
Last month, authorities in neighbouring Nicaragua said they had intercepted a group of 79 migrants from Asia and Africa who were hoping to reach the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon