Nearly 55 African migrants arrested off Costa Rica coast
San Jose: Costa Rican authorities have said they had arrested 54 undocumented African migrants, including seven women, off the country`s Caribbean coast.
Authorities in the city of Limon, 170 kilometres east of San Jose, said the migrants were intercepted aboard an ageing boat under the command of three men, who have been taken into custody on suspicion of human trafficking.
The Red Cross said the migrants, whose nationalities were unknown, had not eaten for several days.
In July, authorities intercepted another group of African migrants, who said they had paid up to 7,000 dollars to traffickers who had promised to take them to Canada.
Last month, authorities in neighbouring Nicaragua said they had intercepted a group of 79 migrants from Asia and Africa who were hoping to reach the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB