Nearly 55 African migrants arrested off Costa Rica coast
San Jose: Costa Rican authorities have said they had arrested 54 undocumented African migrants, including seven women, off the country`s Caribbean coast.
Authorities in the city of Limon, 170 kilometres east of San Jose, said the migrants were intercepted aboard an ageing boat under the command of three men, who have been taken into custody on suspicion of human trafficking.
The Red Cross said the migrants, whose nationalities were unknown, had not eaten for several days.
In July, authorities intercepted another group of African migrants, who said they had paid up to 7,000 dollars to traffickers who had promised to take them to Canada.
Last month, authorities in neighbouring Nicaragua said they had intercepted a group of 79 migrants from Asia and Africa who were hoping to reach the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'