Nearly 55 African migrants arrested off Costa Rica coast
San Jose: Costa Rican authorities have said they had arrested 54 undocumented African migrants, including seven women, off the country`s Caribbean coast.
Authorities in the city of Limon, 170 kilometres east of San Jose, said the migrants were intercepted aboard an ageing boat under the command of three men, who have been taken into custody on suspicion of human trafficking.
The Red Cross said the migrants, whose nationalities were unknown, had not eaten for several days.
In July, authorities intercepted another group of African migrants, who said they had paid up to 7,000 dollars to traffickers who had promised to take them to Canada.
Last month, authorities in neighbouring Nicaragua said they had intercepted a group of 79 migrants from Asia and Africa who were hoping to reach the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29