Nearly 60 injured after 2 planes hit turbulence near Hong Kong
Bangkok: Nearly 60 passengers and crew on two flights were injured on Friday when their aircraft, including a Thai Airways A-380 superjumbo, encountered turbulence shortly before landing at Hong Kong airport.
More than 50 passengers and crew were injured when the A-380 flight to Hong Kong hit turbulence before landing.
The airline`s deputy managing director?Chokchai Panyayong said the plane ran into turbulence shortly before descending to land.
The captain turned on the seatbelts sign but about 37 passengers and 15 crew members, who had not fastened their belts, were injured. The most severe injury was a broken collarbone.
Officials said, 22 injured have been discharged.
Fire trucks and rescue vehicles stood by at Hong Kong International Airport to assist as the plane landed safely around 12.08 pm Hong Kong time.
A Thai Airway statement said there were 500 passengers, two captains and 24 crew members on board the flight.
A Hong Kong Airlines flight from Phuket International Airport was also hit by turbulence while landing in Hong Kong this morning.
The Airlines said three passengers and three flight attendants were hurt when their flight hit "sudden turbulence" as it neared the city`s airport.
The airline said the plane landed safely and the six have left hospital. The plane was carrying 110 passengers and seven crew.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!