Nearly 60 injured after 2 planes hit turbulence near Hong Kong
Bangkok: Nearly 60 passengers and crew on two flights were injured on Friday when their aircraft, including a Thai Airways A-380 superjumbo, encountered turbulence shortly before landing at Hong Kong airport.
More than 50 passengers and crew were injured when the A-380 flight to Hong Kong hit turbulence before landing.
The airline`s deputy managing director?Chokchai Panyayong said the plane ran into turbulence shortly before descending to land.
The captain turned on the seatbelts sign but about 37 passengers and 15 crew members, who had not fastened their belts, were injured. The most severe injury was a broken collarbone.
Officials said, 22 injured have been discharged.
Fire trucks and rescue vehicles stood by at Hong Kong International Airport to assist as the plane landed safely around 12.08 pm Hong Kong time.
A Thai Airway statement said there were 500 passengers, two captains and 24 crew members on board the flight.
A Hong Kong Airlines flight from Phuket International Airport was also hit by turbulence while landing in Hong Kong this morning.
The Airlines said three passengers and three flight attendants were hurt when their flight hit "sudden turbulence" as it neared the city`s airport.
The airline said the plane landed safely and the six have left hospital. The plane was carrying 110 passengers and seven crew.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch