Nearly two million pilgrims perfom haj: Saudi
Mina: Saudi Arabia said on Tuesday that around 1.98 million pilgrims are performing this year`s annual Muslim pilgrimage, the hajj, sharply fewer than last year due to reduced quotas.
The Public Statistics Department said in a statement cited by the official SPA agency that 1.38 million pilgrims came from overseas, down 21 per cent on last year`s 1.75 million.
Another 600,700 pilgrims came from within the kingdom, a drop of 57 per cent from 1.4 million in 2012. Most of them are expatriates living in the kingdom.
The department said the total number of pilgrims is down 37.3 per cent from 3.16 million last year.
The kingdom cut quotas for pilgrims from abroad by 20 per cent and vowed to slash domestics by half due to construction work in the Grand Mosque in Mecca and because of fears from MERS coronavirus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!