Negligence, poor worker safety led to deadly China
Beijing: Negligence of duty was the reason for the fatal factory fire in China`s northeastern Jilin Province which killed 120 employees while worker safety was a "total mess", a top official said on Thursday.
The fire on Monday morning also injured 77 workers at a poultry processing plant in Dehui City and was an accident due to negligence of duty by company management and supervising authorities, according to Yang Dongliang, director of the State Administration of Work Safety.
He was speaking at a meeting of the investigative work team.
"As the main body of work safety enforcement, the company bears unshirkable responsibility for the accident, while the government is also responsible for its management and supervision duties," Yang, who also heads the work team said.
An initial investigation by the team showed that work safety management in the Jilin Baoyuanfeng Poultry Company was a "total mess," according to Yang.
He said the company, with inadequate work safety rules, had failed to implement an accountability system for workplace safety and remove work safety hazards thoroughly.
The company never conducted any evacuation drills or provided safety awareness education among its employees, according to the investigation.
The investigation also indicated that evacuation at the initial stage of the accident was poorly organised partly due to emergency exits being either locked or blocked.
"The accident has revealed that local governments and related authorities failed to carry out their responsibility of supervision and give thorough and effective checks," Yang said, according to state-run Xinhua news agency.
The company`s board chairman, Jia Yushan, as well as its general manager, Zhang Yushen, have been detained, while the firm`s bank account has been frozen.
Yang asked the work team to use all its efforts to look into the exact cause of the accident and make those responsible accountable.
He also ordered checks and an overhaul in all sectors across the country, especially in fields with high risks such as mining, transportation and manufacturing of dangerous chemicals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers