Negligence, poor worker safety led to deadly China
Beijing: Negligence of duty was the reason for the fatal factory fire in China`s northeastern Jilin Province which killed 120 employees while worker safety was a "total mess", a top official said on Thursday.
The fire on Monday morning also injured 77 workers at a poultry processing plant in Dehui City and was an accident due to negligence of duty by company management and supervising authorities, according to Yang Dongliang, director of the State Administration of Work Safety.
He was speaking at a meeting of the investigative work team.
"As the main body of work safety enforcement, the company bears unshirkable responsibility for the accident, while the government is also responsible for its management and supervision duties," Yang, who also heads the work team said.
An initial investigation by the team showed that work safety management in the Jilin Baoyuanfeng Poultry Company was a "total mess," according to Yang.
He said the company, with inadequate work safety rules, had failed to implement an accountability system for workplace safety and remove work safety hazards thoroughly.
The company never conducted any evacuation drills or provided safety awareness education among its employees, according to the investigation.
The investigation also indicated that evacuation at the initial stage of the accident was poorly organised partly due to emergency exits being either locked or blocked.
"The accident has revealed that local governments and related authorities failed to carry out their responsibility of supervision and give thorough and effective checks," Yang said, according to state-run Xinhua news agency.
The company`s board chairman, Jia Yushan, as well as its general manager, Zhang Yushen, have been detained, while the firm`s bank account has been frozen.
Yang asked the work team to use all its efforts to look into the exact cause of the accident and make those responsible accountable.
He also ordered checks and an overhaul in all sectors across the country, especially in fields with high risks such as mining, transportation and manufacturing of dangerous chemicals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?