Negotiations `the only option` for Syria: Vatican
Vatican City: The Vatican on Thursday said talks in Syria were "the only option" out of the conflict, following a meeting between Pope Francis and Jordan`s King Abdullah II.
The two "reaffirmed that the path of dialogue and negotiation between all components of Syrian society, with the support of the international community, is the only option to put an end to the conflict," the Vatican said in a statement.
The statement also said the pope and the king had discussed the resumption of negotiations between Palestinians and Israelis, the status of Jerusalem and wider prospects for stability in the Middle East.
The Vatican thanked Abdullah II for his commitment to inter-religious dialogue and said he had convened a conference in Amman next month on current challenges facing Christian minorities in the Middle East.
The Vatican and all the main Christian leaders in the region have called for dialogue in Syria, rejecting possible armed intervention by outside powers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd Test: Sachin Tendulkar's record remains unbroken; Alastair Cook misses out again
- Lanka's missing persons office lacked consultations: HRW
- Bihar Intermediate Arts Results 2016: BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016, BSEB 12th Vocational Results to be declared tomorrow on May 28
- Reliance launches 4G powered smartphone LYF Flame 4 at Rs 3,999
- 'I am a Tiger. What are you?' asks Jacqueline Fernandez!