Negotiations `the only option` for Syria: Vatican
Vatican City: The Vatican on Thursday said talks in Syria were "the only option" out of the conflict, following a meeting between Pope Francis and Jordan`s King Abdullah II.
The two "reaffirmed that the path of dialogue and negotiation between all components of Syrian society, with the support of the international community, is the only option to put an end to the conflict," the Vatican said in a statement.
The statement also said the pope and the king had discussed the resumption of negotiations between Palestinians and Israelis, the status of Jerusalem and wider prospects for stability in the Middle East.
The Vatican thanked Abdullah II for his commitment to inter-religious dialogue and said he had convened a conference in Amman next month on current challenges facing Christian minorities in the Middle East.
The Vatican and all the main Christian leaders in the region have called for dialogue in Syria, rejecting possible armed intervention by outside powers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read