Negotiations `the only option` for Syria: Vatican
Vatican City: The Vatican on Thursday said talks in Syria were "the only option" out of the conflict, following a meeting between Pope Francis and Jordan`s King Abdullah II.
The two "reaffirmed that the path of dialogue and negotiation between all components of Syrian society, with the support of the international community, is the only option to put an end to the conflict," the Vatican said in a statement.
The statement also said the pope and the king had discussed the resumption of negotiations between Palestinians and Israelis, the status of Jerusalem and wider prospects for stability in the Middle East.
The Vatican thanked Abdullah II for his commitment to inter-religious dialogue and said he had convened a conference in Amman next month on current challenges facing Christian minorities in the Middle East.
The Vatican and all the main Christian leaders in the region have called for dialogue in Syria, rejecting possible armed intervention by outside powers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!