Nelson Mandela compared to N Korea’s Kim Il Sung
Pretoria: South Africa`s Deputy Minister of Police has compared former president Nelson Mandela to deceased North Korean leader Kim Il Sung.
Maggie Sotyu made the comparison at the centenary celebrations of North Korea, held at the North Korean embassy in Pretoria.
“You and your fellow countrymen rightly so regard (Kim Il Sung) as the father of the nation, and you will thus forever revere him as your president,” News24 quoted Sotyu, as saying.
“We also have our own father of the nation, the first democratically-elected president of a democratic Republic of South Africa, Mr Rolihlahla Nelson Mandela,” Sotyu said.
“I am pleased to say proudly that these similarities I have just mentioned of these two great nations extend beyond symbolic boundaries or gestures. They are deeply embedded in our existence and our history as respective nations,” she added.
Sotyu said South Africans would be forever indebted to North Korea because it was under the leadership of Kim Il Sung when Pyongyang ‘provided us with all possible material and mental support during our struggle for freedom, to overturn and overcome the tyranny of the apartheid regime.’
According to the report, she also stressed that both countries had a meaningful relationship despite the fact that South Africa has no dedicated ambassador in the North Korean capital Pyongyang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security