Nelson Mandela doing well: President Zuma
Pretoria: South African icon Nelson Mandela, now admitted to a hospital here, is doing well, said President Jacob Zuma.
Zuma visited Mandela, also a former president, at the Pretoria hospital, the official news agency SAnews.gov.za said.
"We continue to appeal to the media and the public to respect the privacy of Madiba and his family," said the presidency, using a term with which he is popularly known.
According to the presidency, Mandela was admitted for medical tests.
"Mandela will receive medical attention from time to time, which is consistent with his age. Madiba is doing well and there is no cause for alarm," an official statement said.
"We wish Madiba all the best. The medical team is assured of our support as they look after and ensure the comfort of our beloved founding president of a free and democratic South Africa," said Zuma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- DNA: Court acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching case
- Islamic State group claims second German attack in a week
- Former Apple executive is back to lead company's car project
- Mumbai Taxi-rickshaw strike 'put on hold'
- VIDEO: Sushil calls Narsingh's doping row 'unfortunate', wants fellow wrestlers to win medals at Rio
- Pained by death of his buddy 'Tiger', 26/11 canine hero Caesar goes into depression