Nelson Mandela doing well: President Zuma
Pretoria: South African icon Nelson Mandela, now admitted to a hospital here, is doing well, said President Jacob Zuma.
Zuma visited Mandela, also a former president, at the Pretoria hospital, the official news agency SAnews.gov.za said.
"We continue to appeal to the media and the public to respect the privacy of Madiba and his family," said the presidency, using a term with which he is popularly known.
According to the presidency, Mandela was admitted for medical tests.
"Mandela will receive medical attention from time to time, which is consistent with his age. Madiba is doing well and there is no cause for alarm," an official statement said.
"We wish Madiba all the best. The medical team is assured of our support as they look after and ensure the comfort of our beloved founding president of a free and democratic South Africa," said Zuma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand