Nelson Mandela doing well: President Zuma
Pretoria: South African icon Nelson Mandela, now admitted to a hospital here, is doing well, said President Jacob Zuma.
Zuma visited Mandela, also a former president, at the Pretoria hospital, the official news agency SAnews.gov.za said.
"We continue to appeal to the media and the public to respect the privacy of Madiba and his family," said the presidency, using a term with which he is popularly known.
According to the presidency, Mandela was admitted for medical tests.
"Mandela will receive medical attention from time to time, which is consistent with his age. Madiba is doing well and there is no cause for alarm," an official statement said.
"We wish Madiba all the best. The medical team is assured of our support as they look after and ensure the comfort of our beloved founding president of a free and democratic South Africa," said Zuma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj