Nelson Mandela doing well: President Zuma
Pretoria: South African icon Nelson Mandela, now admitted to a hospital here, is doing well, said President Jacob Zuma.
Zuma visited Mandela, also a former president, at the Pretoria hospital, the official news agency SAnews.gov.za said.
"We continue to appeal to the media and the public to respect the privacy of Madiba and his family," said the presidency, using a term with which he is popularly known.
According to the presidency, Mandela was admitted for medical tests.
"Mandela will receive medical attention from time to time, which is consistent with his age. Madiba is doing well and there is no cause for alarm," an official statement said.
"We wish Madiba all the best. The medical team is assured of our support as they look after and ensure the comfort of our beloved founding president of a free and democratic South Africa," said Zuma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death