Nelson Mandela hospitalised for medical check-up
Johannesburg: Anti-apartheid icon and former South African President Nelson Mandela was hospitalised on Saturday for a "scheduled medical checkup", months after he was treated for a lung infection and gallstones.
"Former president Nelson Mandela was admitted to hospital in Pretoria this afternoon, March 9, for a scheduled medical checkup to manage the existing conditions in line with his age," presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj said in a statement.
"Doctors are conducting tests and have thus far indicated that there is no reason for any alarm," the statement said.
The 94-year-old spent 18 days in hospital in December.
He was treated for a lung infection and gallstones. His health has been a cause of concern for many years.
Mandela served as South Africa`s first black president from 1994 to 1999 and is widely regarded as the father of the nation for leading the struggle against apartheid and for democracy.
He first contracted tuberculosis in the 1980s while detained in Robben Island prison.
Mandela has been admitted to hospital on three occasions in the past two years. In January, 2011, he was treated for a chest infection in Johannesburg.
The former president has been rarely seen in public since retiring from public life in 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside