Nelson Mandela in hospital `prison`: Bodyguard
Johannesburg: One of Nelson Mandela`s bodyguards has accused the medical team treating him in a Pretoria hospital of putting the 94-year-old anti-apartheid icon in a virtual prison.
"It`s like his medical people have put him right back into prison again," Shaun van Heerden said of the revered statesman`s stay in a Pretoria hospital where he is battling a recurrent lung infection.
Van Heerden made the comments to the weekly Saturday Star, alleging that he had twice in last seven months during Mandela`s hospital stays been asked to stay away from his duty of protecting the former South African President.
He said that he had been protecting the leader for the last ten years. Van Heerden said he had been accused of informing media where Mandela was being treated, which was kept secret by government in its attempt to ensure privacy for the elder statesman privacy.
Journalists were also camping outside the hospital during his present stay at the hospital.Mandela today spent his eighth day at the Mediclinic Heart Hospital in Pretoria suffering from a recurrent lung infection. This was his fourth hospitalisation since December.
Van Heerden told the weekly that the medical team, led by Surgeon-General Dr Vijay Ramlakan of the South African National Defence Force, had insisted on his removal because he had spoken out against their "constant and uncalled for need to control visitors and hog the limelight".
There had been earlier media reports that only immediate family of Mandela were allowed to visit him, with even the African National Congress which he led for many years being denied access, but this was denied by the ANC.
Van Heerden said the medical team were acting as if they "own Mandela". "For these medical people it`s all about photo opportunities with Madiba and him signing autographs. I was one of the people who reprimanded them," Heerden said.
"Sometimes they would come to his room late at night and put copies of his book (Long Walk to Freedom) under his hands to be signed. I warned them," he alleged.
"Whenever a special guest comes to see Madiba, they want to be in the picture with him," Heerden said, adding that even when Ramlakan had invited him to be part of a picture when Hillary Clinton visited Mandela, he had declined.
The bodyguard was adamant that he was not just speaking out now because of Mandela`s condition or for personal gain.
"I never used Nelson Mandela to sell myself. I had very private moments with Nelson Mandela and some of those I will take to my grave," he said.
Ramlakan could not be reached for comment, and the South African Police Services asked Heerdan to follow the process laid down for the servicemen if he had any grievance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi