Nelson Mandela makes rare appearance on TV
Beijing: The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) on Monday showed a rare footage of former president Nelson Mandela.
The footage showed Mandela sitting in a chair with a blanket over his legs, flanked by President Jacob Zuma, his medical team and several senior members of the ruling African National Congress (ANC) .
"We had some conversation with him, shook hands, he was smiling, " Zuma told the SABC.
"He`s really up and about, (and) stabilized. We are very happy, we think he is fine."
Zuma, along with ANC deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa, party chairwoman Baleka Mbete, visited Mandela at his Houghton home in Johannesburg earlier on Monday.
"Former President Nelson Mandela is doing well at his home in Houghton Johannesburg," the SABC said.
This was the first footage of Mandela in many months. The last time Mandela appeared on TV was on May 31 last year. The footage at that time showed a healthy Mandela receiving a flame marking the ANC centenary at his home in Qunu, Eastern Cape.
Mandela`s health has been the focus of attention in recent years.
The 94-year-old anti-apartheid hero was re-admitted to an unidentified hospital on March 27 due to the recurrence of his lung infection. He was discharged several days later.
This was the third time that Mandela was hospitalized since December last year when he was hospitalized for 18 days for a lung infection and gallstones.
Mandela served as South African president from 1994 to 1999. He had spent 27 years in prison before elected the first black president in the country after the end of apartheid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened