Nelson Mandela not in pain: Wife
Johannesburg: During a nearly one month battle for his life in hospital, ailing South African icon Nelson Mandela has occasionally been uncomfortable but has not been in pain, his wife Graca Machel said on Thursday.
"Now it is about 25 days we have been in hospital," Machel said, giving thanks for the outpouring of well wishes from around the world for the Nobel peace laureate.
"Madiba sometimes has been uncomfortable, but he has never been in pain," she said using Mandela`s clan name.
The former president, who turns 95 later this month, was rushed to hospital on June 8 with a recurring lung infection.
He has since been on life support, but during the last week his condition is said to have stabilised.
"Thank you, thank you, thank you," said Machel, launching the latest in a series of events to mark Mandela`s life.
"The outpouring and humbling demonstrations of love, of care, of support, of hope are taken into our hearts every single day."
"We thank you very deeply."
Amid an increasingly bitter family feud -- involving allegations of adultery, grave tampering and siblings born out of wedlock -- Machel said Mandela`s example could serve as a beacon for unity for the country.
"While he lies in hospital, he offered an opportunity for all of us again to be united," Machel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr