‘Nelson Mandela putting up courageous fight from deathbed’
Zee Media Bureau
Cape Town: The family of ailing first black president of South Africa Nelson Mandela has told national broadcaster SABC in an interview that he is putting up a courageous fight from his `deathbed`.
Daughter of the anti-apartheid icon Makaziwe Mandela told the broadcaster SABC that `Tata is still with us, strong, courageous. Even for a lack of a better word ... on his `deathbed` he is teaching us lessons; lessons in patience, in love, lessons of tolerance.`
Nelson`s wife Graca Machel and current President Jacob Zuma had earlier said he was responding to the treatment.
Mandela, 95, was discharged from Pretoria hospital in September after being admitted there in June for the treatment of recurring lung infection.
Since June his condition has been declared critical.
Mandela, who is a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, was vulnerable to respiratory problems since contracting tuberculosis during his 27-year imprisonment. The United Nations has recognized Mandela`s birthday, July 18, as an international day to honour themes of activism, democracy and responsibility embodied by the former leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened