‘Nelson Mandela putting up courageous fight from deathbed’
Zee Media Bureau
Cape Town: The family of ailing first black president of South Africa Nelson Mandela has told national broadcaster SABC in an interview that he is putting up a courageous fight from his `deathbed`.
Daughter of the anti-apartheid icon Makaziwe Mandela told the broadcaster SABC that `Tata is still with us, strong, courageous. Even for a lack of a better word ... on his `deathbed` he is teaching us lessons; lessons in patience, in love, lessons of tolerance.`
Nelson`s wife Graca Machel and current President Jacob Zuma had earlier said he was responding to the treatment.
Mandela, 95, was discharged from Pretoria hospital in September after being admitted there in June for the treatment of recurring lung infection.
Since June his condition has been declared critical.
Mandela, who is a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, was vulnerable to respiratory problems since contracting tuberculosis during his 27-year imprisonment. The United Nations has recognized Mandela`s birthday, July 18, as an international day to honour themes of activism, democracy and responsibility embodied by the former leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed