Nelson Mandela recovering `slowly and steadily`, remains critical
Johannesburg: Former South African President Nelson Mandela`s health is improving steadily, although he remains in a critical condition, a presidency statement revealed.
The 95-year-old has been receiving treatment for a recurring lung infection at Medi-Clinic Heart Hospital in Pretoria for more than two months.
Doctors at the hospital have assured to President Jacob Zuma that the anti-apartheid icon is making a slow but steady improvement, News24 reports.
Zuma has appealed the South Africans to keep on praying for Mandela`s recovery and good health, the report added.
Mandela`s youngest daughter Zindzi said that her father was now able to sit up without help and he was more alert and more responsive than before.
Earlier, his ex-wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela had denied reports of him being in a permanent vegetative state.
Mandela had also celebrated his 95th birthday in the hospital few days back.
The Nobel Peace Prize Laureate became South Africa`s first black president in 1994.
He has spent 27 years on Robben Island and in other jails for his attempts to overthrow South Africa`s white-minority government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday