Nelson Mandela served $660 arrears notice
Johannesburg: The city of Johannesburg Monday apologised to ailing former South African president Nelson Mandela and his family for mistakenly issuing a notice for about $660 in arrears to his house in the city.
"The city wants to convey an apology to the Mandela family for any inconvenience caused by this unfortunate incident," reported Xinhua citing the city authorities.
The apology was made following a pre-termination notice from the City of Johannesburg reportedly delivered to Mandela`s house in Houghton in Johannesburg.
The Aug 1 notice advised that the amount of 6,468.48 rand (about $660) had been outstanding for over 30 days and warned that if it was not paid, or an arrangement was not made to pay it, a "discontinuation or restriction of services" would follow, as well as possible legal action.
The City of Johannesburg said the notice should have been delivered to a different address.
Earlier in the day, the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory (NMCM) denied press reports that Mandela failed to pay the city electricity and water bills.
The report "is incorrect", the centre`s spokesperson Sello Hatang said. "I don`t understand where the story is because it is the wrong address."
Mandela, 95, was rushed to the hospital from his Johannesburg home June 8. According to the latest official update last week, Mandela remained in a critical but stable condition and continued to show signs of improvement.
The news came as Mandela spent his 59th day in a Pretoria hospital for treatment of a recurring lung problem.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know