Nelson Mandela stable, resting at home: Presidency
Johannesburg: Nelson Mandela`s health is stable and he is resting at home after a two-day stay in hospital for a respiratory infection, a presidential spokesman said on Saturday.
"So far so good," spokesman Bongani Majola said of Mandela`s recovery since being discharged from hospital on Friday afternoon.
"There`s no development. He`s still stable, he`s still at home. The latest is what you heard (Friday). Nothing has developed whatsoever," he said.
Mandela, 92, was released from Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg on Friday. South Africa`s surgeon general said he would continue to receive care at home.
The news ended two days of anxiety over the anti-apartheid hero`s health, after a statement from his foundation saying he had entered hospital for "routine tests" was followed by a news blackout from officials and the hospital over the condition of the country`s first black president.
Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe ended the silence on Friday with news of Mandela`s discharge. He promised the government would issue regular updates on the Nobel peace prize winner`s health.
"If there`s any further development, we will definitely announce," Majola said on Saturday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India