Nelson Mandela still in hospital
Johannesburg: South Africa`s former president Nelson Mandela remained under medical treatment Sunday, the 15th day of his hospital stay, the presidency said.
This is Mandela`s longest hospital stay since 2001, when he underwent seven weeks of radiotherapy after being diagnosed with prostate cancer, reported Xinhua.
In response to growing concerns about Mandela`s health, presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj said there was "no new update" on Mandela`s condition.
A large contingent of journalists have been camping outside the Mediclinic Heart Hospital in Pretoria, awaiting word on Mandela`s condition although the government has never disclosed where Mandela was staying. Outside Mandela`s residential house in Lower Houghton, Johannesburg, also a group of journalists have been camping a block away, expecting that Mandela would return home after being discharged from hospital.
On Saturday, President Jacob Zuma visited Mandela to assure him of the love and support of all South Africans, young and old, and the whole world. The presidency said after the visit that Mandela continued to respond to medical treatment.
In an earlier update on Mandela`s condition, Zuma said Mandela`s health condition was "serious" but he was "responding well to treatment" and had steadily improved in the last few days after suffering a lung infection and undergoing surgery for gallstones.
Mandela has been hospitalized in a Pretoria hospital since Dec 8 for a lung infection and gallstones. He underwent a successful surgery to have the gallstones removed after doctors attended to his lung infection.
Mandela, who was imprisoned for 27 years during apartheid, was elected the country`s first black president in 1994 -- he remained president till 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- SHOCKING! Man beaten to death in Delhi for golgappas - Watch
- RSS questions Rahul Gandhi's remark, demands apology
- Delhi HC rejects plea against Raj Thackeray's security cover
- Eleven Turkish police killed in bombing blamed on PKK
- Haryana govt asks probe officer to stop working on second report into Jat agitation