Nelson Mandela to miss ANC 100th birthday party
Bloemfontein (South Africa): Nelson Mandela will not attend this weekend`s celebrations for the centenary of the African National Congress, the party he led to power after the fall of apartheid, an ANC leader said on Friday.
"He is not coming and we are not expecting him to come,"
ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe told public radio SABC.
"He is in good spirits but very, very old."
On Wednesday, ANC chairwoman Baleka Mbete told a news
conference that the party hoped 93-year-old Mandela would
"That`s not an issue you can ever finalise until the very
last moment because the spirit must also move the old man,"
Increasingly frail, Mandela has not been seen in public
since July 2010 where he delighted fans at the World Cup final
with a surprise appearance.
After a health scare in January 2011, he retired to his
rural childhood village.
The Nobel Peace Prize winner became South Africa`s first
black president in 1994, guiding his party to victory in the
first all-race polls that ended white-minority rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed