Nelson Mandela’s condition improving: Jacob Zuma
London: Former South African president Nelson Mandela’s condition was serious when he was admitted to hospital 13 days ago, but now his health is improving, President Jacob Zuma has said.
“His condition was serious but he is responding well to treatment and has steadily improved over the last few days,” Zuma told members of the ruling African National Congress at the close of a party conference.
According to the Telegraph, Mandela was airlifted on December 08 from his rural village in the south of the country to a hospital in Pretoria for a series of tests.
Doctors found that he had a recurrent lung infection and had developed gallstones. He underwent surgery to remove the gallstones on December 15 and is still in hospital.
Zuma sought to calm jitters over Mandela`s health, the report said.
"I have been informed that at his age doctors need to intervene in a very gradual and sensitive way in order to maximise the chances of a full recovery," he said.
“Madiba [Mr Mandela`s clan name] is an unparalleled fighter and has always been so. He has met all his health challenges with his tremendous fortitude and grace," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview