`Nelson Mandela`s health showing improvement`
Cape Town: Anti-apartheid icon and ailing former South African president Nelson Mandela is showing "sustained improvement" but is still in a critical condition, the presidency said.
"Mandela is still in a critical condition in hospital, but shows sustained improvement," Xinhua quoted presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj as saying.
Maharaj made the statement after President Jacob Zuma visited Mandela on Monday.
Zuma assured Mandela of "love and support of all South Africans", Maharaj said.
Zuma urged people to keep praying for Mandela who spend his 44th day in hospital since June 08, his longest hospital stay in years.
This was the first official update on Mandela`s health since July 18 when he turned 95.
"The birthday celebrations for the former president on July 18 were the biggest ever this year, attracting scores of South Africans who engaged in community service in honour of Madiba (Mandela`s clan name)," Maharaj said.
Earlier, Mandela`s grandson Mandla said his grandfather was "gaining strength every day".
After visiting his grandfather over the weekend, Mandla said Mandela will have his life support machines switched off.
He said the improvement in Mandela`s health was encouraging, and that his grandfather continues to prove he has a fighting spirit.
The Nobel Peace Prize laureate has been suffering from a recurring lung infection, the result of tuberculosis developed when he was imprisoned during the apartheid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India