Nepal govt dragged to SC over Hajj Committee issue
Kathmandu: The Muslim community in Nepal is
up-in-arms against the newly formed Hajj Committee and has
dragged the government to Supreme Court seeking its annulment.
Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal had formed a 20 member
Hajj committee last week to facilitate arrangements for the
Hajj going Muslims.
Mahamud Alam and Masaruddin Ansari yesterday lodged a
writ in the Supreme Court demanding to annul the committee
formed by the government.
They have made the Prime Minister, the Council of
Ministers and Home and Finance Ministers as defendants in the
"The Hajj Committee should formed as per the Islamic
values not on the basis of political ideologies", the duo
The writ says the committee was against the spirit of
directives of the Public Accounts Committee of the Parliament.
The PAC had asked the government to form a seven member
committee to avoid financial burden and possible irregularity,
according to The Kathmandu Post.
The Muslim community has also warned of launching an
agitation if their demands were not fulfilled. They were also
opposing the government`s new rule that prevents Muslims
crossing the age of 65 to go to Hajj.
Every year some 500 Muslims from Nepal visit the holy
cities of Mecca and Medina for Hajj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement