Nepal`s political leaders call for consensus on Vijay Dashami
Kathmandu: Nepal`s top leaders greeted the people of the country on the occasion of Dashain, using the opportunity to call on all political parties to expedite the constitution drafting process to institutionalise the democratic achievements of the people`s movement.
President Ram Baran Yadav said in his message that the country had no alternative to taking the peace process to a meaningful conclusion and promulgating a democratic
constitution within the remaining seven and half months tenure of the Constituent Assembly.
This is needed to ensure "the rule of law in the country by institutionalising the democratic republic achieved through the great sacrifice of the people," he said. "The country has made notable political and social achievements after the people`s movement of 2006. Our national pledge to make the state secular, democratic republic and inclusive is not only a historic achievement but also a guideline for building a prosperous Nepal," he said.
Greeting the people on the occasion, the Prime Minister said the political parties should create an opportunity to give up misunderstanding, conflict and dissension and strengthen goodwill and friendship. "We have upon our shoulder the responsibility of completing the peace process honestly and concluding the task of constitution-writing within the extended timeframe," he said.
Former King Gyanendra also extended his good wishes, calling for preserving the nation`s inherent culture, religion, and national pride and sovereignty. He said steps should be taken to bring about political stability, good governance, and assurance of peace and security.
Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala said Nepal could be transformed into a peaceful and prosperous nation only if its citizens are conscious of their responsibility of establishing lasting peace, preserving national interest and formulating the constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon