`Netanyahu, Barak misleading public on Iran`
Jerusalem: Israel`s former security chief on Saturday accused the country`s top leadership of misleading the public about the chances of any pre-emptive military action against Iran`s nuclear facilities succeeding.
Yuval Diskin criticised Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Ehud Barak on their stand on Iran`s nuclear programme, months after Isreali intelligence agency Mossad`s former Chief Meir Dagan dubbed an attack on the Islamic Republic a "dumb idea".
"My major problem is that I have no faith in the current leadership, which must lead us in an event on the scale of war with Iran or a regional war," Diskin told the "Majdi Forum," a group of Kfar Sava residents that meets to discuss political issues.
"I don`t believe in either the Prime Minister or the Defence Minister. I don`t believe in a leadership that makes decisions based on messianic feelings," the Army Radio quoted him as saying.
"Believe me, I have observed them from up close... They are not people who I, on a personal level, trust to lead Israel to an event on that scale and carry it off. These are not people who I would want to have holding the wheel in such an event," the former Shin Bet chief stressed.
Diskin also Netanyahu and Barak of "misleading" the public by presenting a "mirage".
"They tell the public that if Israel acts, Iran won`t have a nuclear bomb. This is misleading. Actually, many experts say that an Israeli attack would accelerate the Iranian nuclear race," said the former security chief.
Dagan in March in an interview with CBS` 60 minutes had opposed an attack on Iran`s nuclear installations saying it will have "devastating" consequences for the Jewish state, and in any case such an attack would fail to achieve its desired goals.
Touching upon the internal transformation of the Israeli society, Diskin said that it is becoming more and more racist and another political assassination like that of former Prime MInister Yitzhak Rabin cannot be ruled out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Thousands bid emotional farewell as hockey legend Mohammed Shahid laid to rest
- Kudankulam unit 2 physical start-up process begun: Sources
- Derecognise AAP in wake of its activist's suicide: BJP
- All Party meet for inclusive engagement of all stakeholders in J&K
- Brazil arrests terror group over plot to launch large scale attack at 2016 Rio Olympics