`Netanyahu, Barak misleading public on Iran`
Jerusalem: Israel`s former security chief on Saturday accused the country`s top leadership of misleading the public about the chances of any pre-emptive military action against Iran`s nuclear facilities succeeding.
Yuval Diskin criticised Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Ehud Barak on their stand on Iran`s nuclear programme, months after Isreali intelligence agency Mossad`s former Chief Meir Dagan dubbed an attack on the Islamic Republic a "dumb idea".
"My major problem is that I have no faith in the current leadership, which must lead us in an event on the scale of war with Iran or a regional war," Diskin told the "Majdi Forum," a group of Kfar Sava residents that meets to discuss political issues.
"I don`t believe in either the Prime Minister or the Defence Minister. I don`t believe in a leadership that makes decisions based on messianic feelings," the Army Radio quoted him as saying.
"Believe me, I have observed them from up close... They are not people who I, on a personal level, trust to lead Israel to an event on that scale and carry it off. These are not people who I would want to have holding the wheel in such an event," the former Shin Bet chief stressed.
Diskin also Netanyahu and Barak of "misleading" the public by presenting a "mirage".
"They tell the public that if Israel acts, Iran won`t have a nuclear bomb. This is misleading. Actually, many experts say that an Israeli attack would accelerate the Iranian nuclear race," said the former security chief.
Dagan in March in an interview with CBS` 60 minutes had opposed an attack on Iran`s nuclear installations saying it will have "devastating" consequences for the Jewish state, and in any case such an attack would fail to achieve its desired goals.
Touching upon the internal transformation of the Israeli society, Diskin said that it is becoming more and more racist and another political assassination like that of former Prime MInister Yitzhak Rabin cannot be ruled out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?