Netanyahu calls for early polls in Israel
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called for an early general election in four months` time, BBC reported.
The vote is expected to take place in September, a year before Netanyahu is required by law to seek a new mandate.
Netanyahu leads a centre-right coalition which includes his own Likud, and the Labour party of Ehud Barak. He has been Prime Minister since 2009.
According to opinion polls, Netanyahu is the most popular politician in Israel.
The Prime Minister told a meeting of party workers in Tel Aviv that he did not want "a year and a half of political instability accompanied by blackmail and populism".
After listing the accomplishments of his government, he said he would like to lead a broadly based coalition after the election.
According to the BBC, the timing of the decision may be partly due to a recent souring of relations with a junior coalition partner, Nationalist Israel Beiteinu party, over plans to require ultra religious Jews to do Army service.
It could also be a move to strengthen his own position if Barack Obama wins another term as US president later this year.
The two leaders disagree on Israel`s relations with Palestine. Many Israelis are concerned that Obama might pressure both sides to restart talks, having failed to do so in his first term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore