Netanyahu calls for talks with Abbas over UN bid
New York: Israeli Prime Minister Binjamin Netanyahu has called for talks with the Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas.
The call came as Abbas, who is in New York for the annual UN General Assembly, prepared to submit a request for membership in the UN in a move opposed by Israel and the US.
"The Prime Minister is interested in a meeting with the president of the Palestinian Authority in New York," Netanyahu`s office said in a statement.
"I call on the president of the Palestinian Authority to open up direct negotiations in New York and that they resume in Jerusalem and in Ramallah," it added.
Netanyahu is also scheduled to meet American President Barack Obama later this week. Israel and the US insist that only direct negotiations can resolve the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.
Meanwhile, the Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak arrived at the Pentagon on Monday for talks with his US counterpart Leon Panetta. They are expected to discuss the possibility of renewed peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians as well as the recent storming of the Israeli embassy in Cairo.
Peace talks between Israel and Palestinians ground to a halt in September 2010 when Israel failed to renew a partial freeze on settlement construction in the occupied West Bank.
Since then, the Palestinians have refused to return to talks as long as Israel builds on occupied territory. The Palestinians say they are going to the UN out of frustration with the deadlock in the peace process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city