Netanyahu raises Iranian threat at Holocaust memorial ceremony
Jerusalem: Describing the threats faced by
the Jewish state as "real" and not "theoretical", Israel`s
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has asked the international
community not to ignore the threat posed by Iran`s nuclear
ambitions, drawing parallels to the Nazi Holocaust in which
six million Jews perished.
Netanyahu emphasised on three main lessons the Jewish
people have learnt from the Nazi Holocaust, at the opening
ceremony of the Remembrance Day to honour the memory of those
who were killed, the first being the danger which lies in
ignoring the threats of those "wishing to annihilate us".
"We must not bury our heads in the sand and dismiss the
threat with cheap words," he said.
"Has the world learned this lesson? I doubt it. Have we
learned it? I believe we have," Israeli Premier said, adding,
we must admit that "in the history of the Jewish people we
have not always excelled in anticipating the future, sometimes
repressing the bleak reality before us".
Calling upon the Jews not to ignore the lessons of
Holocaust today, he referred to the threats posed by Iran and
its allies in the region that call for the destruction of
"Because today, new enemies are rising, and as they deny
the Holocaust, call for the destruction of our people,"
Netanyahu said, adding that "Iran, and its proxies Hizbullah
and Hamas are openly working to destroy the Jewish state.
Speaking of the world`s response to such an effort,
Netanyahu said that "those who say they are implementing the
lessons of the Holocaust, should denounce in no uncertain
terms those wishing to destroy the Jewish state, and even
arming themselves with nuclear weapons in order to realise
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka