Netanyahu says Israel should not rely on foreign help
Jerusalem: Israel`s hawkish Premier Benjamin
Netanyahu Sunday invoked the Jewish state`s visionary Theodor
Herzl to press the point that his country should not rely on
foreigners, at a time when long-time ally US is pressuring it
to revisit its policy on settlements.
Netanyahu opened the weekly cabinet meeting, two days
ahead of the Independence Day celebrations, recalling Herzl`s
statement:” Don’t rely on the help of foreigners".
"On June 11, 1901, Herzl said something that captured me.
`Do not rely on the help of foreigners, nor on benefactors.
And do not expect stones to become soft because benefactors
give humiliating donations. A nation that wants to stand
upright must rely on itself alone," he said.
There is unrelenting pressure from the US administration
on Israel to freeze constructions in disputed areas in order
to resume peace talks with the Palestinians.
The cabinet marked the 150th birth anniversary of Herzl,
credited with the idea of creating a Jewish state.
"I was not familiar with this quote, but you learn
something interesting and important every day," the
premier?was quoted by Ynetnews as saying.
Netanyahu`s comments were not directly in reference to
Israel`s ties with the US, but at a time when the Obama
administration continues to pressure the Israeli government,
the connection is hard to overlook, the news portal said.
"The 62nd Independence Day marks the State`s achievements
on the 150th anniversary of the birth of Herzl, the man who
began his activity at age 36 and ended it at age 44.
"In eight years he changed the history of the Jewish
people and the history of mankind", he said.
"He took a scattered people and gathered it. He foresaw
the deterioration in Europe. It is incorrect that he did not
write about the Holocaust he wrote about it dozens of
times," Netanyahu added as the nation gears to celebrate
Independence Day on Tuesday as per Hebrew calendar.
Meanwhile, hours before the start of the Memorial Day,
Defense Minister Ehud Barak announced that the government
plans to build a national memorial hall for the nation`s
22,682 fallen soldiers and victims of terror attacks.
The hall will be erected at the Mount Herzl military
cemetery in Jerusalem, and will serve to immortalise all of
Israel`s fallen in one place.
"Erecting the memorial hall is another step toward
immortalising the fallen`s legacy and memory," Barak said.
The total figure includes the fallen since 1860, when the
Jews of Jerusalem began building neighbourhoods outside the
walls of the Old city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department