Netanyahu`s brother-in-law calls Obama anti-Semite?
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu`s brother-in-law Hagai Ben-Artzi has termed US
President Barack Obama as an "anti-Semite", a remark which
could further strain the relationship between the two nations.
"It`s not that Obama doesn`t like Bibi," Ben-Artzi
said, using Netanyahu`s nickname, and added: "He doesn`t like
the nation of Israel".
"When there is an anti-Semitic (anti Jews) President in
the US, it is a test for us and we have to say: We will not
concede. We are a nation dating back to 4,000 years, and you
in a year or two will be long forgotten. Who will remember
you? But Jerusalem will dwell on forever," he said in an
interview to Army Radio.
The Prime Minister`s brother-in-law also claimed that
Obama`s anti-Semitism stems from years of indoctrination by
controversial preacher Rev Jeremiah Wright, from whom he
distanced himself?during the election campaign.
His remarks came at a time when Israel-US ties seem to
have hit rock bottom and efforts are being made to bring it
back on track.
The `crisis` in ties began after Israel announced new
settlements in occupied East Jerusalem at a time US Vice
President Joe Biden was visiting the country. The Israeli
announcement was condemned by world leaders and the US termed
it as an "insult" to its leader.
However, Netanyahu was quick to distance himself from
Ben-Artzi`s remarks, saying he completely disagrees with him.
The Israeli Prime Minister in his response said he has a
deep appreciation for Obama`s commitment to Israel`s security,
which he has expressed many times, and also for the deep ties
between the two countries.
The hawkish Israeli leader`s close relative told the
Radio?that Netanyahu is aware of his views, but declined to
say what the two discuss in private conversations.
A group of far-right activists yesterday announced their
plan to hang hundreds of posters across the country depicting
Obama under the headline "agent of the PLO" (Palestine
The banner is already on display in the office of
right-wing National Union party`s lawmaker Michael Ben-Ari.
Obama`s speech to the Muslim world in Cairo last year
stirred tension in Israel and the?US regarding the President`s
new policy towards the Middle East, and created the impression
that he was biased towards Arab countries.
Netanyahu`s coalition government is overwhelmingly
dependent on its right-wing?partners and it is felt that any
concession on Jerusalem would lead to its collapse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India