Netherlands to recall ambassador from Iran
Amsterdam: The Netherlands is recalling its ambassador to Iran for consultations over the execution of a Dutch-Iranian woman, the Dutch Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
A ministry spokesman said the ambassador would make a formal protest to the Iranian Foreign Ministry before he returned to The Hague on Thursday.
Iran`s ambassador to the Netherlands would be summoned shortly to the Dutch Foreign Ministry, he said.
The Netherlands froze diplomatic contacts with Iran after Zahra Bahrami, a 45-year-old woman with dual Dutch-Iranian citizenship, was hanged last month for drug smuggling, a charge that her family says was fabricated after she was arrested for participating in anti-government protests in 2009.
According to postings on Iranian blogs and news websites, Bahrami died when she was tortured during interrogation by the Iranian authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence