Netherlands to recall ambassador from Iran
Amsterdam: The Netherlands is recalling its ambassador to Iran for consultations over the execution of a Dutch-Iranian woman, the Dutch Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
A ministry spokesman said the ambassador would make a formal protest to the Iranian Foreign Ministry before he returned to The Hague on Thursday.
Iran`s ambassador to the Netherlands would be summoned shortly to the Dutch Foreign Ministry, he said.
The Netherlands froze diplomatic contacts with Iran after Zahra Bahrami, a 45-year-old woman with dual Dutch-Iranian citizenship, was hanged last month for drug smuggling, a charge that her family says was fabricated after she was arrested for participating in anti-government protests in 2009.
According to postings on Iranian blogs and news websites, Bahrami died when she was tortured during interrogation by the Iranian authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city