Netherlands to recall ambassador from Iran
Amsterdam: The Netherlands is recalling its ambassador to Iran for consultations over the execution of a Dutch-Iranian woman, the Dutch Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
A ministry spokesman said the ambassador would make a formal protest to the Iranian Foreign Ministry before he returned to The Hague on Thursday.
Iran`s ambassador to the Netherlands would be summoned shortly to the Dutch Foreign Ministry, he said.
The Netherlands froze diplomatic contacts with Iran after Zahra Bahrami, a 45-year-old woman with dual Dutch-Iranian citizenship, was hanged last month for drug smuggling, a charge that her family says was fabricated after she was arrested for participating in anti-government protests in 2009.
According to postings on Iranian blogs and news websites, Bahrami died when she was tortured during interrogation by the Iranian authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'