New ambush near world`s largest gold mine, 2 dead

Last Updated: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 22:07

Jakarta (Indonesia): Gunmen opened fire on Wednesday on buses carrying employees of US mining company Freeport in Indonesia`s restive Papua province, killing two people in the latest attack on the world`s largest gold mine, witnesses and the state news agency said.
The state news agency Antara reported two dead, but it
did not identify the victims or say if they were shot.

An agency reporter was told by a policeman who
witnessed the shooting that a police vehicle escorting the
convoy flipped. He declined to be named because he was not
authorized to talk to the media.

Several injured officers were taken to a local clinic,
the reporter said, one of them in critical condition. Two
body bags were later seen being removed. The police officer
did not think any Freeport employees had been hurt.

Since July 11, at least a dozen people have been killed
or wounded in ambushes along a road leading to the mine,
prompting a massive security operation in the militarised zone
that is off limits to foreign journalists.

Freeport declined comment, referring inquiries to police
who did not return phone calls.

Arizona-based Freeport has been targeted with arson,
roadside bombs and blockades since production began in the
1970s during the US backed Suharto dictatorship.

Bureau Report



First Published: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 22:07

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus